Friday, May 18, 2007

I'm just sayin' - double standards

There is an article in Yahoo Music today titled: "Is Sexiness a Must for Today's Female Singers?"

Well, I don't really need to read the article to answer a quick "YES, of course it is!" A quick perusal through that article tells me what I was thinking, which is that this article probably came about due to Melinda Doolittle's ridiculously unjust eviction off American Idol on Wednesday night. Anyone who watched this season of AI, in comparison with any other season of AI knows that Melinda was without question the most talented, consistent, and vocally adept of any other constestant in the history of the show. Don't get me wrong, I know there have been amazing singers on this show before, but Melinda could do no wrong. Go back and watch all 15 of her performances and you will see, the girl nailed each and every one of them. She was my favorite from the beginning, and yet, I was not at all surprised when she got the boot this week. To be honest, I'm actually surprised she made it as far as she did. Because we all know AI is not (contrary to what Simon would like to believe) a singing competetion. It is a popularity contest, which happens to be about music. And Melinda, sweet, humble and talented as she may be, is NOT America's image of an Idol. She's not tall enough, not skinny enough, not sexy enough, not young enough, simply put, not enough. (and for the record, I think Melinda is a pretty girl, and I am not calling her fat or ugly or any of these things, she's just does not have "the look"...you know exactly what I'm talking about).

So we are left with the beat-boxing white guy (who, is indeed very talented), who gathers the vote of all the teenage girls, and the 17 year old pretty girl (with a great voice in her own right), who can still be molded into what America thinks she should be. Honestly, I wish them both luck, and think either one of them is a fine pick for this year's AI...hey, as long as it's not Sanjaya, I'm cool.

But Melinda? Well, I believe she'll do JUST FINE after this, and I for one will be buying her albums. And I say albums, plural, because I think if handled correctly, this is an artist who could have the staying power of a Whitney Houston (pre-bobby), a Mariah (pre-break-down), or even a Celine (and I don't even like her)...she's got the chops, she can make great music.

But she will never be a popstar. She will never have the fame and following of a Beyonce, a Gwen Stefani, a Christina Aguilera, because she doesn't have the sex appeal. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it? I'm sure she will be plenty happy to be known for her talent, not her sex appeal.

But here's what kills me...if Melinda were a guy, she would have won AI. PERIOD. I mean, Ruben Studdard? Clay Aiken (I know he didn't win, but he might as well have), Taylor Hicks? SERIOUSLY??

Like I said, were Melinda a guy, she would have won, hands down, no questions asked. I'm just sayin'...