Thursday, June 04, 2009

Thursday Thirteen - It's BAACK...

I’ve missed doing Thursday Thirteens. A few weeks ago I decided I was going to start doing them again, but when I headed over to the TT website, it was GONE. GONE I tell you. And I? Was sad.

But then this week,
Frances, the fearless and amazing leader of SheWhoBlogs discovered the new home for Thursday Thirteen. And I? Was so happy.

So, now, I’m happy to say that I will once again be doing Thursday Thirteens! YAY. Celebrate with me, this is a good day, because any incentive to get me blogging MORE is a good thing, right? Yeah, okay, whatever…just go with it, lest I’m tempted to have another conversation with myself…

Without further ado, let’s get on with this week’s Thursday Thirteen.

I thought I’d kick it off with Thirteen Mottos I live my live by:

1. Live like this is your last day on earth. - This is by far the most important one, because well…everything else stems from this.

2. Count your blessings every day. – Every single day take a moment or 20 to count your blessings. Literally, list them out, name them, count them. With our busy lifestyles, I guarantee you won’t have time to count them all. That’s the point.

3. Notice the little things. – Sort of the “stop and smell the roses” if you will. Don’t go through your day staring down at your feet, you’ll miss the whole point of life. See the bird up in the tree, that crack on the sidewalk shaped like a heart, the way the droplet of water makes its way down a windowpane…NOTICE.

4. Tell people you love them. – Always, every chance you get, let those around you know how much they matter to you, how valuable they are, that you love them.

5. Be silly. – Forget what “they” say you’re supposed to act like. Who the hell are “they” anyway? Life is way too short to be serious all the time, be silly, do stupid things, laugh at yourself.

6. Work hard – play harder. Yes, it’s almost the same as number 5, but it’s just a reminder that it’s important to be serious sometimes, to get stuff done, to do the responsible thing. Work, exercise, eat healthy, pay your bills, do all the right stuff. But when that’s done, HAVE FUN, indulge, spoil yourself a little, have a treat..live.

7. Do good things. – work hard, play harder, GIVE the hardest. If you do good things then you know that there is no better feeling in the world than when you do for others. Do good things.

8. Never pay full price. – Hey, they couldn’t all be serious right? But seriously, if you want something, find it on sale, if it’s not on sale, you don’t need it yet. Yes, there are exceptions, but in general, never pay full price.

9. When all else fails, wear nice shoes. – There’s just something about a great pair of shoes to uplift your mood. Try it. I’m telling you, it works.

10. You really do decide what mood you will be in, so make the right decision each morning.
11. Smile at strangers. – That is all, just do it. (but you know, be careful and all that other stuff…lol)

12. Pray. When you’re grateful. When you’re scared. When you’re lost. When you’re lonely. When you’re happy. When you’re at your wits end. When you’re euphoric at your good fortune. Pray.

13. Allow yourself to have off days. We all have off days, and sometimes, it’s okay to succumb to them. Just don’t stay there too long.

I have to tell you, this list was actually a lot easier to write than I initially thought it would be. I probably could have written another 13. Turns out I live my life by a whole crap load of directives. What do you think? What are your tried and true “words to live by”?


Don't forget to go check out other Thursday Thirteen participants here.

5 comments:

I am Harriet said...

Amen. Live like it's your last day on earth...well..to some extent anyway just in case there is a tomorrow :)

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovin-thursday.html

jill said...

I know its not 'wear clean underwear' because everyone knows you poop yourself in an accident anyway! cheers!

jill said...

not that i DONT wear clean underwear, but. well you get the point. you wear clean underwear because its disgusting not to. who cares if you get in an accident or not, what does that have to do with underwear?

Susan Cook said...

Those are great mottos. I love them. I try to live by them, but sometimes it's hard.

Thanks for sharing. Happy TT!

lissa said...

#5 & 13 - definitely, if you can't be silly sometimes, how do you know if you're having?

ps, there's a "kill word verification" movement - go here for more info -"link

I've turn off my word verification, I think it's something to think about, though it's still your choice