Friday, September 11, 2009

Never Forget - EVER


Okay, I haven't posted anything in a while here (big surprise, seems to be the running theme), but I couldn't let today go by without a post.


I've posted this poem more than once on this here little blog o' mine, but honestly, I can't seem to find words more fitting every year than the ones I wrote back in 2001 after the tragedy happened.


So, once again, I'm reposting a poem I wrote back in 2001.


Tuesday Morning


When I awoke
the sun was shining
I could smell the ocean breeze
the birds singing
the world was grand
I started my day with ease


Then the phone rang
"turn on the tv
You won't believe your eyes"
And then I saw it
the second impact
terror coming from he skies


"What's going on?"
I asked dumbfounded
"Is the world falling apart?"
As time progressed
I learned much more
The knowledge broke my heart


"Oh my God
There it goes"
Someone said to the crowd
And as it fell
our hopes crumbled
the country sighed out loud


How could this be?
Here , in America?
We're not supposed to cry
On a Tuesday morning
for no good reason?
People aren't supposed to die


But things have changed
The world is different
We'll never again be the same
But how we stand proud
The United States
Much more than just a name


My heart still broken
My eyes, still moist
I still can't make much sense
But I've seen the focus
such prayer, such unity
The world's love so intense


They shook foundations
They collapsed buildings
They took human lives that day
But we won't be rattled
Won't be destroyed
God Bless the USA

Copyright 2001 - Karina


I only wish our country stood as united today as we did 8 years ago. It shouldn't take such tragedy to bring us together as one.


And that's about as political as I'm going to get here. Hug your loved ones. Smile at a stranger. Pray for our country.

1 comment:

Frances said...

So beautiful...and yes
...we won't be rattled
Won't be destroyed

Sending good vibes from NYC