Sunday, June 13, 2010

Popinjay - Savvy

This week's Popinjay is being hosted by my buddy Amber and the prompt is Savvy. Savvy...that's a TOUGH word to photograph.

Look up the word in a dictionary and this is what you get:

- verb: to know; understand;
- noun: practical understanding; shrewdness or intelligence; common sense;
- adjective: shrewdly informed; experienced and well-informed, canny.

Right...and how does one photograph that?

I thought and thought about it and I just couldn't seem to come up with a good enough representation of the word. Amber herself told me that I was a pretty savvy person, savvy about shoes, and fashion, and celebrities and other things. But...as much as I appreciated her saying that, and it made me laugh that my claim to fame my indeed be my knowledge of all things fashion and Hollywood, I still didn't have a photograph.

And then today I went by my mom's house to pick up my bridesmaid dress for my cousin's wedding next Saturday. My dress which was at mom's because she was fixing it for me. See, the dress fits me perfectly, except for one thing, due to my...um...ample bust, my lceavage in this dress was indecent exposure (to put it mildly).

So, we came up with a plan, trim some off the hem, and sew it at the top...I had the idea, but mom, mom has the knowledge, the know-how, the "practical understanding", to pull it off.

Because when it comes to sewing, mom is all kinds of savvy.



This is the finished product. If it looks like any other dress you'd see in a store, that's because mom's savviness makes it so. You can't even see where she added the fabric at the bust line.

Mission accomplished.

Be sure to stop by Amber's to see what other Savvy bloggers have posted. And she's hosting next week as well, the prompt is "Annoyed". Do join us, we'd love to have you!

3 comments:

Amber@ClassicHousewife said...

Too cool! My grandma and my mother in law are both sewing savvy - but not me!! =)

~michelle pendergrass said...

Phil's got the sewing savvy in this house! LOL He's awesome in all kinds of ways. I don't have the sewing gene.at.all.

Just wanted to say here, too, you guys have blessed me exponentially by hosting for me all these weeks. I can't thank you enough.

This Eclectic Life said...

That IS pretty savvy! I wish I had your Momma's sewing skills (and your ample cleavage ... bwahaha!). My grandmother had the sewing skills and the bustline. She could look at a dress and draw her own pattern. That art is lost on me.