Sunday, February 10, 2008

Passing it On

Earlier in the week I talked about Lent and making the decision to forgo the typical "I'm giving up soda" sacrifice (not that there's anything wrong with that) in lieu of focusing on doing positive things. I decided that for this Lenten season, I was going to make a concerted effort to do good deeds. In general I try to be a good person and do good things anyway, but the focus during this time will be to actually "consciously" decide to do them. They can be as small as smiling at a stranger, as big as donating money to charity, and anything in between.

I've also decided to keep track of these actions on my blog, simply for the fact that in doing so, I will be sure to remember to keep doing it, day after day. And who knows, I may just inspire you to do the same.

So, starting last Wednesday, Ash Wednesday... here are a few things I've been doing:

2/6/08 - Went to grocery store for lunch, at the register started a conversation with elderly cashier, brought a huge smile to her face. It's amazing how many people will completely ignore the clerks ringing up their groceries and not even acknowledge that a human being is on the other side of the counter.

2/7/08 - Sent a book to a stranger.

2/8/08 - Sent various book to strangers. Cleaning up the bookshelves and donating books feels fantastic.

2/9/08 - Despite having absolutely NO desire to spend an afternoon surrounded by screaming toddlers and friends who are married with kids, as the SOLE single girl in the room...I went to my friend BFF's 3 year old son's birthday party, and stayed the whole time. It was worth the headache and barrage of "any new guy in your life" questions just for the smile and hug I received from BFF when I arrived, and again the gratitude before I left. Friends like BFF are a blessing, and worth all the sacrifices.

2/10/07 - Spent the morning (into early afternoon) volunteering at the church with the Sunday school kids in a program my uncle is heading. Two days in a row of screaming children...quite the headache tonight as a result. But I'm glad I'm doing it.

Pass it on folks...

1 comment:

SwampAngel65 said...

Can I steal you ridea for Lent, even if it's a little late? I love it and have actually been making mental notes of my random good acts for the past two weeks. Even the smallest things I do, like letting a car cut in front of me in traffic, makes me feel good!