Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cafe Karina - American Idol - The Live Shows Begin

I love American Idol. LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I love the talent, love the music, love the emotions of the show. The real show, the actual singing portion of the show. Not the ridiculous audition process, with the insane contestants and the over the top costumes, but the talent, the singing.

So, this week I finally get excited, because starting tonight, the singing begins.

That being said, AI is not without it's faults, because it is a reality show looking to keep it's ratings high, and as much as I'm all about the talent, there are a lot of people out there who watch for the shennanigans instead. Those people are the ones who voted week after week to keep Sanjaya in, and for them, we have the Tatian'as and Norman whatshisface's of the world.

Still, even though I expect to be fully annoyed by the twists and turns of the show, I'm still really looking forward to the talent. And I'm looking forward to blogging about it all here, discussing it and arguing it all with you.

This season they're narrowing it down to our top 12 a little differently, breaking the remaining 36 constestants down to three groups of 12, and letting America vote. Each week the girl and guy with the highest votes will move on, along with the third highest vote getter (be they male or female), after 3 weeks, that leaves us with 9 finalists, and three "wildcard" spots to be filled, I assume, by the judges picks.

Tonight's group of 12 already contains some of my favorites, so I'm already expecting to be disappointed in the very first week by having some of them not make it through. That being said, I'll hold tight for those "wildcard" spots, hoping they'll save the ones who are unjustly voted off.

I won't begin my "recaps" in earnest until the top 12 because it'll just be too much to keep up with, with 36 contestants. But, here are my quickie thoughts on tonight's performances:

Jackie Tohn: What the hell was she wearing? Damn, the 80's are back. Her performance? Was good. Not great, not good enough in my opinion, but good. She's original, I'll give her that. She could be fun on the show, but...eh.

Ricky Braddy: Who is this guy? Poor guy, he got no face time during the weeks leading up to this show, so that's a mark against him, he's really got to deliver in his performance. And that he does. I don't know if it'll be enough to keep him in the game with the fans, but he was fantastic.

Alexis Grace: This girl has a rockstar's name already, and she has a great look too, but does she have enough to win the fans over? Unfortunately, her performance didn't win me over. She has a great voice, and I think she's adorable, but the song and the way she chose to sing it just didn't do it for me. And I wasn't loving the nightie she was wearing on stage either. She had a great finish, but I'm not sure it made up for the rest of the song. Of course, the judges loved her, so, here it begins, the dissent. I never do agree with the judges.

Brent Keith: As if he wasn't nervous enough, his tape breaks and he almost has to go on without the little "video" introduction. I like this guy, and he's certainly easy on the eyes. And his performance was good, but not particularly exciting or unique. I was waiting for Simon to say it was something you'd hear at any corner bar with the house band. He didn't, but he did say he was forgettable. Which, I sort of agree with...sorry Brent.

Stevie Wright: OOOH...ouch. Yikes. The girl broke under the pressure, this was a BAD performance. Just bad...and it's not that she's not talented, but...yikes.

Anoup Desai: I like this guy, and I think he's got a good voice, but this performance was weak and bland. I don't really have much more to say...

Casey Carlson: is adorable. But she was kind of weird on stage. I dont know what it was, but it was weird, with the winking and the the facial expressions and...and the song? Was a crap choice.

Michael Sarver: I LOVE this guy. LOVE HIM. I just think he's a genuine guy who you just want to know as a person. And I love his voice. That being said...I didn't love his performance. It was okay, but just that...okay.

Anne Marie Boskovitch: Hmm...yeah...I don't know. She's not bad but...eh.

Stephen Fowler: has a beautiful soulful voice. But I don't know if it was song choice or what it was, tonight was not his night. It just didn't work, he was "pitchy dawg".

Tatiana Del Toro: Ugh, do I have to? No, really, do I have to? I can't do it. With the dramatics and the melodrama and the crying and the ugh...I don't know why this girl is still on the show, and I know she'll be this year's Sanjaya and I'll have to put up wit her week after week and...oh, I so don't want to...and here's the worst part...her performance tonight? Was actually pretty damn good. Probably one of the best of all the girls in fact. No, seriously...do I have to?

Danny Gokey: Finally. Let me just put this out there, this guy? MY PICK from the minute he walked in the audition room. I love him, think he's amazing and talented and beautiful and want him to win it all. I'm saying it now, he's my favorite. This performance this week? Beautiful, flawless, LOVED IT.

If this guy doesn't get the highest votes of the night, there's no justice. That's all.

And that's where I'll end this post...next week 12 more perform and tomorrow we find out which three from tonight will make it through to the top 12.

I'll be back then...

No comments: