Thursday, December 09, 2010

Book Review(ish) - One Thousand Gifts

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

My dear Twitter/Bloggie/hopefully one day real life friend Michelle Pendergrass recommended this read for me.


One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are - Ann Voskamp

What I read was the egalley/pre-published version of the book.

What follows is not so much a book review as it is my reaction to the words themselves.

From the very first words of the book I was drawn in. The beginning paragraph was captivating, engrossing, and so very poetic, I knew I wanted to read more.

By the end of the 1st chapter, I’m already in tears. But fully, completely involved in the story, in the pain, and in the questions…I want to read more.

By page 40 I can’t seem to stop reading, I lose sense of all around me and am completely immersed in her words, her beautiful, mesmerizing prose.

By page 122, I’m feeling filled up, inspired, excited to participate in my own life with the vigor the author is expressing in hers. I have all the same questions, all the same doubts, all the same struggles. I have all the same hopes, all the same desires, all the same grains of faith.

By page 141, I’m making a list. No, not a list of graces, though that will surely come soon enough, but a list of names. Names of people I will be gifting this book when it is released next year.

By page 167, I am craving that childlike wonder, and professing to live like a child. Every day. To see the world through the innocent and joyous eyes of a child.

By page 188, I’m in tears once again, and wanting to thank God for my friend, the one I call The Disciple, because she won’t hesitate to stop and hug a homeless person on the street.

By page 201 I realize I’m nearing the end, and I don’t want it to end…so I stop for the day, save the last 40 pages for another day’s grace…

By the last page, the acknowledgements, the Thank You’s…I am again in tears. Feeling blessed for having shared in these intimate moments with the author. And I am ready to begin my own list of One Thousand Gifts…and beyond.

This book is beautiful, full, enriching.

EVERYONE should read this book. Everyone.

2 comments:

Tui Snider said...

Is the book available to the general public yet? You've intrigued me! ~Tui

Ami said...

This sounds like something I'd love to read. I'm adding it to Goodreads as a reminder to check it out when it's available. Thanks for sharing!