Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sunday Scribblings #3 - Swimming with the Stars



























This week's Sunday Scribblings prompt is: What's your Sign?




I am a Pisces born on March 10th. Now, in all honesty, I've never put much weight on this whole "astrology" business. I read my horoscope, sure, but unless it says something that is either entertainingly positive, or it nails a particular day with scary accuracy, I don't particularly pay it much attention.

And yet, anytime I've read a description of my "sign", I've been intrigued by the accuracy with which it describes me.

For example, from Astrology.com: "These folks are selfless, spiritual and very focused on their inner journey. They also place great weight on what they are feeling. Yes, feelings define Pisceans, and it's not uncommon for them to feel their own burdens (and joys) as well as those of others. The intuition of the Pisces-born is highly-evolved. Many people associate Pisceans with dreams and secrets, and it's a fair association, since those born under this Sign feel comfortable in an illusory world."

Selfless? Honestly, most of the time I do tend to be quite selfless.

Spiritual? Very much so, more so than most people I know.

Focused on my inner journey? Boy, am I ever...I take self-reflection to new levels.

And as far as feeling my own burdens (and joys) as well as those of others? I can't watch the news because I cry anytime I see someone in pain.

And boy, do I love my "illusory world", I've been told all my life I live inside my head.


But wait, there's more..."Pisceans who fear that their pleas aren't being heard tend to lapse into melancholy and, worse, the kind of pessimism which leads to procrastination and lethargy. At times like this, Pisceans are well-served to take some time for themselves, the better to find their center once again."

This is perhaps the truest of all with me. I have a tendency to allow myself to drift into a semi-depressed, but always non-productive haze whenever I'm "abused" or overwhelmed at work. I can work extremely hard, and handle many tasks at once, until I feel I am being taken advantage of, or not being appreciated, and then, easily, I sink into the lethargy. It is at times like this when I need to take some mental health days (as I did just this past week), so that I can recharge my batteries, sort of speak, and return to being a productive member of society.

And then there is the creative edge that Pisceans seem to have been gifted with. Every horoscope book will tell you that us Pisces are the writers, artists and musicians in the world. I can't draw or sing to save my life, but writing has always been like breathing for me...and dancing...well, if you read this, then you know how I feel about it.

But not everything in the Pisces description fits me. For example, Astrology.com states that Pisceans are generally gentle, easy-going folk, who are on the shy and reticent side. They are modest to the point of impracticality, often stepping up only to show their talents in painting or music. Easiest for the Fish (and still great fun) is living in their lush dream world.

I do love my dream world, but I am in now way, shape or form "shy, gentle" or even easy-going. I've become a lot more laid back as I've gotten older, but still, I do love to get my way. And gentle just doesn't fit me at all...I'm a strong, independent, LOUD Portuguese woman...I can be gentle at times, but life alone has made me a bit tougher than most. As far as being shy? Nobody who has ever met would ever accuse me of such a thing! After all, I'll talk to anyone. I'm that person in the line at the grocery store sparking up a conversation about the weather...

More than once I've read descriptions of the Pisces nature as "weak-willed and easily led" or "submissive"...these couldn't be more off the mark as far as I'm concerned. I can be an emotional mess, and too much of a dreamer, but I count myself among the leaders...always the first among my friends to suggest a place to go, a movie to see, a restaurant to try.

Still, I do find it intriguing how close these descriptions can get...but then, not all Pisces can be exactly alike, can we? I don't know, I don't put much weight in these things...

For more Sunday Scribblings, click here.





(the pictures I used above are magnets that can be found here, at art.com by the way)

1 comment:

MommaBoo said...

I am a scorpio. And the description pretty well suits me. Outgoing, intense, temper, etc.

By the way, I wanted to give you something. Go onto "OSOMOLOVE" and right click the pink box in the right hand corner. Save and post on your blog. ENJOY!