Friday, December 21, 2007

Follow-Up Friday - Live from Winter Wonderland

Boy, what a few week's it's been in these here parts, with about 20 inches of snow delivered in the last week and half. We will certainly be having a White Christmas like we haven't had in years.


I've said it before, and I'll say it again, snow may make for beautiful postcard like scenery (and truly, my drive to and from work has never been more beautiful than it was this morning), but man is it ever a pain in the ass.


Anyway, onto the follow up. Fun Monday this week was all about the history of our homes. I read some fascinating stories traipsing through other's posts, but didn't really have much history to speak of about my little condo. So I just gave you the history of my life in the condo instead. Thank you all for your lovely compliments on the work I've done to the place, I really am proud of how it all came out. I got quite a few comments on how lovely the view is from my balcony, and it truly is a great view. I'm lucky with the location of my particular unit, some of the others in the building have a nice view of a wall or the parking lot. I took even more pictures of the snowy "hill" yesterday, I'll post those maybe this weekend. By the way, Willowtree commented on my use of the word "Unit" to describe my apartment being unusual in the states. To be honest, it's not widely used around here, but that is how it is listed on my deed, and I much prefer it to "apartment" because that makes it sound like I rent, and I prefer it to "condo" because that just sounds snotty ;-).


On Tuesday I reflected a bit about the spirit of Christmas. I'm still feeling it, even more so today, because as soon as I leave work I'll be on vacation until Wednesday. A nice long Christmas break makes for even more of the "Holiday" spirit.


Now, Wordless Wednesday is the post I'm sure most of you were waiting for my follow-up on (okay, maybe two of you), so here it is...the story behind the house featured in those pictures. Normally, I would agree with those who commented that the "light display" was overkill, because truly, well...it is. But this house does it on purpose. It's one of those houses that people come from far and wide to see. And the owners stand out there and take collections for various charities from the folks who drive by to check it out. It's a local Christmas "phenomenon" and the owner is a well known guy in the town where I work. The pictures don't even capture the magnitued of the light display, because the day I chose to go take the pictures was after our ice storm, and the road this house is on was beyond treacherous, so I took a few shots, but wanted to get the heck out of there before someone crashed into something (namely me). The next door neighbor has actually gotten in on the act, and so the display extends a bit into his property as well. It would appear "garish", but it's actually just really kind of cool and festive. And I'm lucky enough to drive by that road every night, and see the house as I go by.


All that said, I still wouldn't want to live next door to them! ;-) Oh, and I definitely wouldn't want to pay the light bill, which he also gets donations from local businesses, etc. for.


And finally yesterday I opted out of Thursday Thirteen and instead did a mini-tribute to my brother in honor of his birthday. I actually took yesterday off work so I could run some last minute "Christmas" errands, and we got a walloping 10 inches of snow, so that made for an interesting time trying to get around to run those errands. I'm happy to report I managed to get at least 80% of what I needed to do done, and with no major incidents to speak of. It did, however, take me twice as long to get just about everywhere, and we won't even speak of the nightmare getting around parking lots was. Still, all my Christmas Shopping is done, and I'm presently wearing my new eyeglasses.

What eyeglasses you ask? OH, see, it's become a personal Christmas tradition (or end of year tradition) that I go shopping for new eyeglasses around this time. This is because I participate in the pre-tax dollar program that's offered as a benefit through my job. But through this program, if you don't use the money by the end of the year, you lose it. And I always end up with extra money left over, and the money needs to be used on "medical" type things (or daycare, or other things that don't apply to me). So, I go buy eyeglasses. Several years ago I developed some major issues with my eyes, and had to stop wearing contacts full time. I can still wear them from time to time, but my eyes are extra sensitive and after a few hours of wearing contacts, they get very red and irritated. So, I now wear glasses full time. Therefore, I figure that if I have to wear them full time, I might as well make them a stylish part of my outfit. After my visit yesterday I now own 6 pairs of eye glasses and two pairs of prescription sunglasses. And two of the pairs I bought yesterday? Channel and Burberry. Yep, I'm cool like that.

I'll share pictures of my eyeglasses in a future post, cuz I'm silly that way and I want you to see them.

Also, dinner with the family last night for "Shortstuff's" birthday was a nice time. We ate, we chatted, we laughed and we all acted like complete fools playing with Diamond, the puppy. Funny how a puppy can turn five grown humans into babbling idiots! She's the cutest thing and we are all in love with her.

Today I am at work, but I can't honestly say I'm "working"...I'm just going through the motions, waiting for clock-out time, so I can begin my Christmas weekend. I am off to help "Shopaholic" finish her Christmas shopping tonight, then my friend "Traveler" is flying in from Florida today, and we are going to a Boston Bruins game tomorrow afternoon. Sunday I will probably help mom with baking and preparations for Christmas, and Monday is our family's big day, as we celebrate on Christmas Eve.

I will definitely post again before Christmas, but in case I miss you, have a WONDERFUL Christmas Everyone!!!

7 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Karina, just wanted you to know I've given you a Spirit of Christmas award. No, really.

Loved hearing the tale behind the Christmas lights house! I love over-the-top light displays like his. I say 'Scrooge' to the people who wonder why he does it. If you have to wonder, you'll never get it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas also! I am innundated with scripture and sermon writing!

Pamela said...

Merry Merry Christmas to you, too!

qualcosa di bello said...

i really like that those folks with the glowing house do it for charity! what a great thing...

merry, merry Christmas to you!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about snow!
Your Wordless Wednesday is fabulous.
May I put it up on the group site?
Looking forward to those eyeglass pics.
Have a fabulous holiday.
Much bloglove,
Frances

willowtree said...

To Karina and Family,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
from WT and Family

Joy T. said...

Stopping by and coming out of lurk-mode to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas Karina!