Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Tipsy Tuesday - This Aisle, No Sweets

I’m on Day 5 of NaBloPoMo for the month of May, and already I’m struggling with the theme of Sweet. What I’m not struggling with thus far though, is with posting daily. I’m actually really enjoying the challenge, because it is forcing me to write a new post every day, and I’m finding that I missed the routine, and especially the writing.

So, I’m going to stray from the “Sweet” theme for today, but I’ll probably pick it back up tomorrow, worry not.

Today, however, I want to do something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while. I want to start a new feature here at Candid Karina. I’m going to call it Tipsy Tuesday, but oh, it is so not what you’re thinking.

Here’s the thing, I’m not claiming to be an expert on any one thing (because I’m so not), but for some reason, I seem to be the person a lot of folks turn to for advice, answers, opinions, information, and yes, tips. It’s always been this way for me, and I think it’s because I tend to have my finger on the pulse of what goes on in the world.

I’m a bit of an information junkie, always gathering facts about the most trivial of things. Therefore, I can just as easily tell you what color shoes to wear with a particular outfit as I can what cable you need to hook up your HDTV. It’s weird, I know.

Now, again, let me make this really clear, I’m no expert. I am NOT all knowing (or even remotely close) and I certainly don’t have all the answers. But I get real pleasure out of finding them out when I don’t know them, and I have the most random collection of tips and trivia in my brain that is just dying to get out.

So, here’s what Tipsy Tuesday is all about. Each Tuesday I’ll give you completely random tips and tidbits. Things you may or may not know. Helpful hints, or just intriguing trivia you can use to entertain your friends.

There will be no earth shattering information revealed here. I swear, I have no idea what the creators of Lost are planning or who shot J.R. (wait, maybe I do know that one).

And hey, if there’s something you want to know about, a question for me? Let me know, I’ll do my best to find out for you.

It should be noted that most of my tips will probably focus on the things I do know best. Those being fashion and make-up, shoes (of course), making new friends, eating healthy , bargain hunting, how to properly stalk a New Kid on the Block (that’s a joke folks), and who knows what else?

This is all in good fun folks, let’s not get too serious!

Since this post is already getting way too long, we’ll kick things off today with just one simple tips. I was actually asked by a friend for a trick to make your eyes look bigger, and I won’t lie to you that I actually jumped for joy to be able to impart this little bit of wisdom. It is probably one of my favorite beauty tips of all time. I actually learned this tip from Hillary Duff of all people. No, I don’t know her personally, I just read an article in some magazine where she offered this beauty tip, and I have been using this little trick since. If you don’t know, I wear glasses pretty much full time. I’ll wear contacts now and, but mostly, you’ll find me in any one of my 6 pairs of glasses (yes, you read that right, I have a bit of a shopping problem). When I started wearing glasses I was disappointed that what had always been the one feature I was constantly complemented on (my eyes) was now hidden behind the glasses.

I’ve since learned to play with eye make-up to make them “pop” a bit more. But it was Ms. Duff that gave me the best piece of advice on how to make your eyes really pop, look bigger and brighter. Ready?

White Eyeliner.

Now, for me personally, I need regular black/brown eyeliner on my lower lid, or I look completely washed out. But I’ve found that a bit of white liner on the top lid, as well as a dab in the inner corner of your eye does wonders.

Try it, you’ll love it.

There you have it. Now, if I wanted to be really dorky and tie in the “Sweet” theme to this post, I’d tell you to go out and try Hillary Duff’s perfume “With Love”, it is a sweet, subtle scent, and actually one of my favorites at the moment.

Wow, from this post you’d think I was getting some advertising residuals from Ms. Duff’s camp! HA!

Anything you want to know? Leave it in comments and I’ll try to answer next week.

No comments: