Ah Spring, time for renewal, and rebirth. Time for the snow to melt, the sun to shine and the flowers to bloom.
Uh..sort of. Here in New England, Spring is barely a blip on the radar, but at least it means we're a step closer to Summer. Still, even if New England winters drag on a bit longer than most, and we don't get the full benefits of Spring, there are subtle ways in which we notice the change of seasons.
Here are thirteen things I'm looking forward to on this First Day of Spring:
1. No more snow. Yes, it's beautiful, and gave me some great photo opportunities, but I've had enough this year. We really got pummeled up here in the Northeast, and if I don't see another snowflake all year, I'll be okay with that.
2. I can put away the hats, gloves, scarves, and bulky winter coats. As much as I'm an accessories girl, these particular accessories I'm ready to put away. I can't wait until I can leave the house without needing to first prep with layers of protection against the elements.
3. Daylight. This has already started to change, but I so look forward to still having hours of daylight to enjoy after I leave work in the evenings.
4. Going for walks. Once the temperature warms up a bit, and there is still daylight after work, I start taking walks along the river, usually with Shopaholic, as we catch up on each other's days. I enjoy that time.
5. Color. In nature, flowers bloom, the grass grows, and the world just takes on a more colorful scheme to it.
6. Colors. In our wardrobe. We bring out the pastels, the springy happy flirty colors after a long winter of living in blacks, browns and greys.
And these: And these: Technically, I only own the ones in the first photo, but the other two pairs are on my wish list (click the photos to be taken to the websites where you can buy them...for me...uh...I mean, for yourself. Yeah, that's what I meant). I'd show you more photos of the shoes I actually do own, but my spring shoes are still in the throes of hibernation, and will need gentle prodding to be awoken in the next few weeks. You can't rush them, they need to be ready. And don't get me wrong, I love my boots. I mean, I really love boots. But, oh how my shoes want to come out and play. (Did I mention I'm a size 7 1/2 ?)
8. Photo Ops. With spring there are a whole slew of possibilities for photo ops, and I'm looking forward to being able to going out to take photos without having to run back inside to defrost my fingers.
9. Birds. I just installed a bird feeder on my balcony and am looking forward to watching the birds show up for dinner.
10. The sounds of the season. Speaking of birds, waking up to the songs they sing outside my window. Falling asleep with the windows cracked and the rustling of the wind outside. Crickets chirping, kids playing. The sounds of life after a dormant winter.
11. And the smells of the season. Oh, the smells. Fresh, new, clean, alive and vibrant.
12. Having a social life again. Not that I didn't go out during the winter, but we all tend to hibernate a bit in winter, don't we? Come spring we begin to make plans with our friends, outings, get togethers, excuses to enjoy the fresh air.
13. And did I mention Flowers? Like these gorgeous Calla Lillies I just bought myself?
Ah Spring. What are you looking forward to?