Thursday, November 11, 2010

He Said Write About Time Machines

This post is dedicated to my Twitter buddy Chris Blake (@chrisblake) who is not only a great guy, but is also a very talented musician, you should totally check him out: ChrisBlakeMusic.com. Anyway, he said I should write about time machines. I hope he's not disappointed that I didn't take a more sci-fi direction with this post. ;-)

I believe in living in the moment. I’m pretty sure I’ve talked about this before here on my blog, but I’m a firm believer that we should live our life NOW in the present, not focusing on things past, and not daydreaming about the future.

TODAY is the only day that really matters.

For the most part anyway.

So, I believe in appreciating all the little and big moments as they happen, and this has made my life one full of wonder and miracles.

But sometimes, just once in a little while, I stop to reflect on the past, what has brought me here, to this moment. The choices I’ve made, the struggles I’ve been through, the gifts I’ve been given. And sometimes, I take a moment to imagine the future. To wonder where this life is leading me, where my choices are taking me, which of my wishes will be granted.

It’s only natural to do that, I think.

But, as much as reflecting on the past can be a good thing, for I find I learn much, about the world, and about myself by thinking of where I’ve been, I know I wouldn’t want to go back. The truth is, when all is said and done, I wouldn’t change a thing. Because whatever little thing I might choose to change would in turn change everything else, like the butterfly effect, and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now.

And I mean that. Despite the fact that I find myself at a crossroads, in a bit of pain, accepting my vulnerabilities and loneliness…I wouldn’t want it any other way, because this is just a part of the process that will lead me to my future.

And what of the future? Do I want to know what comes next? Not even a little bit. I have always refused to go to fortune tellers or seers or any of that sort of thing. It has nothing to do with moral or religious beliefs. It also has nothing to do with disbelief or thinking they’re all phonies. Truth be told, they might very well know EXACTLY what they speak of, and that is actually why I won’t do it.

Because I don’t want to know.

The beauty of my life is in the surprises it has brought me, and continually brings me. Why would I ever take the joy of discovering my next miracle away from myself?

So, if you ask me would I want to step into a time machine, where would I want to take it? I’d tell you I’m perfectly content here, in the now of the moment.

Although, if I could use said time machine to visit the past without disturbing it’s path…maybe I’d go have a chat with my two dearly departed grandmothers, because I do miss them so…

Where would you go in a time machine?

2 comments:

Amber said...

I've always said the same thing. Butterfly effect and all that. Sure there are plenty of things I'd love to change, but I'd be scared of the consequences. =)

Karina said...

Yeah, exactly. I'd be afraid I'd end up somewhere where I was unhappy or something...no thanks!