Friday, November 26, 2010

Unplugged

When I signed up for NaBloPoMo, I forgot the small detail that I spend the last weekend in November disconnected from technology. Completely unplugged. Away from the interwebs.

From today until Monday morning, I will not be online. At All.

Thanks to the magic of “pre-publishing” blog posts, I plan to complete NaBloPoMo anyway, but as you read this, I’m already enjoying the disconnect from the world.

For some, the idea of spending an entire weekend away from the internet, television, radio, their cell phones, might be far too much to handle.

In the past, this was true for myself as well.

And truthfully, my cell phone will be with me this weekend. Just in case.

But let’s be honest…considering most of my immediate family will be involved working this youth retreat, and my closest friends will also be there with me…what purpose could I possibly have for technology, for the internet, for my cell phone?

The phone will remain in my bag and probably only be used as an alarm clock, to rise me out of bed on our WAY TOO EARLY mornings during the retreat weekend.

While in years past the idea of being “away” scared me some, today, I am excited for the opportunity to step away.

Each year, this weekend forces us (myself and those others involved) to hit PAUSE on our lives and focus on what truly matters. On our inner thoughts, on our God, and on love.

I return to the world on Monday exhausted, but fully recharged. Full of love, full of hope, full of the belief that I can do this, I can make it another day, week, month, year, and make a difference.

Sometimes, before you can plug back in and light the world, you need to take a moment to recharge your batteries…

Unplugged I leave you with this:

Even if only for a few hours, remove yourself from the outside influences of the world, and take some time to reflect. Pray, meditate, exercise, dream, sing, read, but do something you love, something that reminds you of the simple pleasures of the world. Do it alone, or with someone you love. Hug a friend, tell your family how much they matter to you.

Take the time…recharge your batteries.

The internet isn’t going anywhere. It’ll be there when you’re done.

Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: