Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Weighty Issue

When I began into this whole "getting my body and health back" plan, I really didn't know that I would be capable of the success I've had.

I thought I'd lose a few pounds, feel a little better about myself, but then give up, as I've always seemed to do in the past.

When I set my initial goal weight, I really saw it more as a "wish" than as a "goal".

But now, here I am, three months later, and only about 2 lbs. away from that goal weight. Not only that, but I've become so focused and determined, that I added an additional five pounds to that goal weight (or should I say subtracted), so that I now plan to go even lower.

I feel great, I look great, and there's no stopping me now.

But then, last week, I went on vacation.

Now, I don't know about you, but a vacation to me is a sure fire way to come home with an extra 5 to 10 lbs. EASILY.

So, I made a plan. I was going to walk a lot, and choose the healthier options on all the menus, all week long. I couldn't make any promisses about my alcohol intake, however. But the food, the food I was going to watch.

Because my typical "Weigh-in" day is on Wednesday, and I was leaving for Florida on Tuesday, I stepped on a scale at home before I left, and figured I'd lost about 1.3 lbs in the week after my last weigh in, and the time I left for vacation.

So, now I just had to try and not completely blow it.

Then I arrived in Florida, and entered full vacation mode. And made a conscious decision to throw caution to the wind, and eat whatever my little heart desired. Still trying to maintain a healthy "ideal", I hit a grocery store and stocked up on fruits, baby carrots, yogurt and 100 calorie snack packs for the beach.

But other than that, I broke all the rules. I ate pizza, I ate cheeseburgers, I ate pasta alfredo, I even ate fried foods, which I don't even eat when I'm NOT on a diet. And you know what? I enjoyed EVERY BITE.

We won't discuss the alcohol intake. Let's just say, there was plenty.

I also did walk. A LOT. Every day I walked to and from the beach, around the beach, and everywhere you can imagine in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I returned home knowing I'd definitely put on weight. I had no doubts in my mind about it and I was fearing that walk of shame to and from the scale at my weigh in tonight.

Lo and behold, the scale smiled at me tonight. I'd dropped .2 lbs from my last weigh in.

This means I did put on a little over a pound while in Florida. Really? I'll take it.

So now, I'm back on track, and even more full of motivation, because if I could manage to go on vacation and not completely derail myself? Well, there's no stopping me now, is there?

3 comments:

a Knitting Junkie! said...

Girl, I cannot express how thrilled I am for you!
Way to go!!!
Hugs...Anita

Karina said...

Anita, thanks! I appreciate that! All the encouragement I've gotten from my bloggy friends has definitely helped, that's for sure!

Pamela said...

congrats!