Monday, March 07, 2011

On Solitude




One of my favorite poems of all time, by one of the most unorthodox poets of all time, e. e. cummings:

l(a

le
af
fa
ll

s)
one
l

iness

Outside the parentheses: loneliness. Inside the parentheses: a leaf falls.

So much said in so few words.

I first read this poem when I was in Jr. High School and it has stuck with me through all my years since then.

I carry it, like I carry loneliness.

Inside me, tucked away, not at the forefront of my mind, but always there, ready to be pulled out at a moment’s notice.

The image of a leaf falling from an autumn tree brings feelings of crisp air, beautiful colors, crunchy pathways. Almost joyful, comforting thoughts.

And yet, so alone, that leaf, falling to its end.

I am blessed in so many ways. I have a wonderful family, the very best friends, a life filled with people, and joy, and love.

Color and sound.

Yet some days…the leaf falls…and loneliness takes over.

There is little to be done on these days but go with the wind, see where it takes me, land slowly, peacefully.

And know that I am bound to land among other leaves…