Thursday, December 15, 2005

Open Letter to Mother Nature


Dear Mother Nature:

Why do you hate me so? I know I must have done something at some point to anger you this much, and yet, I’m not quite sure what it was. This love-hate relationship we have has been going on for far too long, and I think it’s time we make amends. Truly, I’m sorry if I have offended you, and please allow me to attempt to fix it.

I don’t remember exactly when it was that you turned on me, it’s been subtle, and slow progressing, so it took me a while to realize just how angry you were at me. But now that I reflect back on it, I can see all the signs. There was that time on Spring Break where my cousin and I went to Florida, and even though the weather wasn’t terrible, it was only in the low 70’s and we got quite a few rainy days as well. Yet on the day we were driving back to Massachusetts, it was 95 degrees and sunny. Then there was that one week about 7 years ago, in the middle of July that I decided to take for myself between jobs, so that I could enjoy some time in the sun, and attempt to get a tan before starting my new job. It rained every single day that week do you remember that? And then the day I returned to work, it was 90 degrees and sunny. There was the cold, somewhat rainy weather at Key West and along other parts of our cruise, I think you feeling slightly forgiving that week though, because it was a decent week weather wise, all things considered. Like I said, there have been other signs along the way, but I’ve been slow to notice them.

This month however, you really have been playing with my emotions. It snowed on Thanksgiving, which was just strange and out of place. But I was okay with that. It was also in the 60’s for much of November, which really confused all of us New Englanders, we had no idea what to wear, but that wasn’t personal, as that affected everyone, so again, I let that slip. Now the temperature has been steadily declining, and it’s bitter cold outside today. But I live in New England, so that is to be expected. What I’m feeling is personal, however, is the snow. Look, I go the whole year barely taking any days off work. I work hard, I’m dedicated, I don’t call in sick. And then year end rolls around and I have a few extra vacation days that I must take before the end of the year. So I took last Friday off, to finish my Christmas shopping. And what do you do? You dump 18 inches of snow in the span of 5 hours, and cause me to be TRAPPED in my house at the top of the hill. I got NOTHING accomplished that day. One could argue that at least I didn’t have to drive to work in that storm, but really, I didn’t take the day off to spend it in my pj’s in front of the television, I wanted to get things done.

And this week? Well, it’s been bitter cold out, but not a spot of snow. It’s been clear and even somewhat sunny. But I have tomorrow off, and what, pray tell, is the forecast? WINTRY MIX…not just snow, but snow switching to ICE. JUST to make it fun for me to try to drive down my hill without getting killed. I HAVE PLANS for tomorrow! I’m going to buy new glasses, I’m going to mail Christmas cards and Christmas packages to friends from out of town, I have things to do, places to be. You can’t do this to me again. If I am trapped in my house again tomorrow, I’m afraid our relationship may be hurt beyond repair.

So can we please stop this crazy fighting? Let me know what it is that I did that has you so angry with me, and I promise never to do it again. Let’s be friends. We can get along I know we can.

Thanks for taking the time to read this letter. You know where to reach me if you want to patch things up. You could start by diverting that storm tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Me

No comments: