Monday, August 11, 2008

Fun Monday - Paint Me a Picture


Here is today's Fun Monday assignement from our hostess at AOJ and The Lurchers:

Show me your favourite photograph and tell me why it's your favourite.It can be one you've taken yourself or one someone else has taken, a snapshot or a more professional image. Is there a story behind it? Do you love it for the memories it gives or just because it's pleasing to the eye?Show me and tell me!

Well, that sounds easy as pie, doesn't it? Yeah, except, if you read my Fun Monday post last week, or this post, than you'd know how I feel about the word "Favorite". If you didn't read that post (and why didn't you?), let me see if I can explain it to you succinctly. Let's see...favorites...ACK! I can't do it. I can't pick favorites.

But, you know what? Our lovely hostess said we could cheat, so...if she said we could, well then...

Still, I'll try not to go crazy, and I'll limit it to three of my favorite photos. I'm going to go with photos I've taken myself, because although this photography thing is new to me, I'm really thrilled with some shots I've taken in the last year or so. I've shared some of these previously here at Candid Karina, but they should be shared again.

This first I took on a trip to Mexico. We went horseback riding on the beach, and this was our instructor.



I can't tell you how much I love this photo. The camera I used to take it with is an old 35mm camera. I had a black and white film lying around for years, and decided to take it with me to Mexico. This moment presented itself, and I took the shot. I had no idea how it had come out until I developed the film upon my return. I love it. I love the wind in the trees, the sun glaring off the sand...and the sentiment of "solitude" yet peace that it evokes in me.

This next one is from a series of shots I took on the way home from work on day last November. I literally shot this one out of my car window while stopped at a red light.

And this final one might just be the best picture I've ever taken:


It has a "painting" feeling about it that I just love.

Okay, I lied...here are two more from that day:

There you go...I'll stop here. Please go visit our hostess, her photo is gorgeous, and she's got the lsit of all the other participants up as well. You must go see what they've all chosen.

Next week's Fun Monday is being hosted by Lisa, be sure to go and sign up!

24 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

All of your photos make me want to get away. Far, far away.

Love them....

Margaret, Soon-To-Be-Mama
http://blogs.chron.com/mamadrama

Anonymous said...

Ok Ok OK ! You win for breaking the Fun Monday rules in the biggest way !
...and I love you for it. See, I'm not the only one who breaks the rules.

Love the photos. Especially the first one. Amazing that "the old camera" captured at least a thousand thoughts.

IamwhoIam said...

Some cool shots, but I do love B&W shots it make thinks seam crisper and real, and my head can take me there. Ok my own logic.

Jill said...

did you miss me? those are SUCH gorgeous shots. i'll try and make the rounds and get caught back up with what you've been doing. meanwhile, hop on by the mousehouse. i've been busy.

http://lil-mousehouse.blogspot.com

Sayre said...

I can see why these are your "favorites"!!! Love the beach shot.

kitten said...

Omgees! What beautiful & breath taking pics. The 1st and 2nd one would be idea to blow up and hang on a wall.
Hope all has been well!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

LOVE the high-key one of the horses on the beach. Looks like a blast!

Attie said...

I love that 2nd one!! wouldn't that be a great hudge canvas picture on a wall!!! i lvoe it!!
And your others are good too but that is my fav!!

Tink *~*~* said...

Love the reflection photos. The conditions have to be JUST right for those, and I think you did a great job of seizing the opportunity.

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Anonymous said...

Wow these are all great shots! Happy Monday...

Anonymous said...

great photos all very breath-taking

Alison said...

those are all breathtaking photos!! great job!!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised the film that had been laying around forever produced 'any' pictures at all. It was meant to be and the result was spectacular!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Wonderful photos!! I loved them all. I hope you have the first one hanging on a wall somewhere.

my4kids said...

All those photos are great and I agree the last 3 do have a painted look!

ChrisB said...

All beautiful but I especially like the last three.

Pamela said...

trees silhouetted in a lake are an artists favorite I think.

Anonymous said...

It's not hard to see why you included all of these--each one is special in its own way. That beach shot? So artistic, and even in B&W, it evokes so much emotion.

You've proven no matter what the medium, a "good eye"--the ability to see like you have, makes all the difference in the world.

Beautiful.

Celeste said...

Love the photos...I especially like the sunset one: the sky look like it is on fire.

Faye said...

Speaking candidly! The Mexico photo just blows me away--what is it about black and white or the sepia tones that just help you get to the essence of what you're shooting? And talk about being at the right place at the right time--your "painterly" photo proves that for sure.

Unknown said...

I love them all! Did you notice they all invoke that feeling of solitude?

willowtree said...

I love the last three.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Am loving all of them! The rider on the beach is lovely though, really does capture a moment.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

That black and white had a 50's feel to it. No wonder! And I do love your favorite fall photo. I love fall. I'm looking forward to it like crazy.