Monday, January 10, 2011

Lil' K & Karina - Cooking Up Memories.

In case you missed it, I have list of "Goals for 2011". Among those goals were two important ones: Spend more time with Lil' K, my little sister through Big Brother Big Sister. Lil' K is not so little anymore, she'll be 18 this April, and our busy schedules and active lives make spending time together a bit more of a challenge, but we both know how important it is for both of us that we do.


The other was to cook more. Inspired by the movie Julie and Julia, I decided that I wanted to start utilizing my cookbooks and making at least one meal from scratch each week.


We've decided to combine both, and once a week K and I will be getting together, cooking a meal, and eating, chatting, bonding.

Last Wednesday we had our first cooking night.



 Love the slippers, don't you?


I set an ambitious menu for our first foray into cookbook cooking. A salad of mixed greens with fresh mozzarella cheese and homemade sundried tomato dressing; 



and stir fried beef with mushrooms and green beans in a ginger sauce
The vegetables alone for these recipes were enough to overwhelm a couple of novices.

We set to chopping, and dicing, boiling and blending, and making a mess of epic proportions.






When all was said and done, we had a delicious dinner, which Kayla called a 5 Star meal, and an amazing time.







  
We haven't picked a menu for this week yet...but we've set a date. This is going to be such a fun project!

1 comment:

Amy said...

2 great ideas in one post - I'm also doing a new recipe each week this year... great idea #1, being a big sister great idea #2.

How long have you been a big sister? We've considered foster parenting, and adopting a teenager but while we have the heart to do so, I don't think we have the stamina. I think I'll look into big sistering...

Your meal looks scrumptious!