Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Oh what a night...or five.

I was tagged by The Queen of Memes, JennieBoo, for quite the thought provoking meme quite a while ago. I started this post almost three weeks ago, but was unable to finish it because I just couldn't come up with the answers. I've decided to give it a go again.. It is the Five Best Nights, So Far Meme.


The rules: list the 5 best nights that you can recall and then tag four other people and see if the meme can continue.

Sounds simple enough right? Yeah, sure, until I had to start thinking about what my 5 best nights so far were. Really? I have to really dig deep for these. I'm pretty sure that I'll miss a night in here that I'll go back and think "oh yeah, that was even better than he ones I listed" but I had to go with something, so here's my five:


1. March 9, 1985 - It was my first night spent in the United States of America. It was also the evening before my 10th birthday. My parents and I, and my baby brother had arrived and my grandmother had birthday cake for me. It was a full house of strangers so happy to meet us all. It was the beginning of a new life for all of us. It was so long ago, and I was so young, but I still have very vivid memories of that night.

2. Any of the number of nights spent with my cousins up at the white mountains when we were supposed to be sleeping, but were instead listening to music and talking into the wee hours. I can't pick just one specific night, but I have great memories of those nights.

3. I don't know the exact date, but the night I went to my first concert. It was a New Kids on the Block concert, and I was about 13 or 14 years old. My cousins and I were the biggest New Kids fans. We had our walls wallpapered with their photos, we were in their fan club, we even had our own "Pen Pal club" that we started. Spend our days writing letters to other "BlockHeads" throughout the world, exchanging pictures of our favorite New Kid. And we scored tickets to one of their concerts. We were in a kind of delirious heaven only teenage girls can understand. Our seats were horrible, but we had the time of our lives. It also began my love affair with live music. From that point forward I would attend over 40 different concerts. But that particular night, and all the silly memories that come with it, will always stand out in my mind.


4. This one is a bit of a stretch, because it started off as a "day" which turned into a "night", but I'm throwing it in anyway. My first date with my ex "The Soulmate". He picked me up at 11 am, and wound up dropping me off at 11pm. It was the best date I've ever been on, and I don't even remember most of what we did that day. I do remember that I fell in love with him that day, and didn't want the date to end (thus why it lasted 12 hours). It was a great night.


5. My first night in my condo. I bought my condo about one month before I turned 28 years old. Prior to that, I'd been living with my parents. I'd never moved out. I hadn't gone away to college. I'd never been "on my own". Buying the condo, all alone, was a great source of pride for me. Moving out into the world, by myself, was something I'd wanted to do for a long time. My first night, completely alone, in my new home, was bittersweet. There was a great sense of separation from my parents, and this left me with both a sense of accomplishment and pride, and a deep sadness, that here I was, all grown up and on my own. I shed a few tears, and then I took a deep breath and looked around. WOW, this was all mine. I had done it. There have been few moments in my life when I've felt so proud of myself.


So there you have it, the 5 best nights so far...sort of...

I think I'm supposed to tag some people here...so, let me see...

Annie - because she's a fairly new blogger, who I really enjoy reading, and I think she'll enjoy filling this one out.

Qualcosa di Bello - because I love reading her blog and have a feeling her response will be full of moments that'll make me teary eyed, in a good way.

Frances - because she absolutely fascinates me, so I can't wait to hear what she'll choose as her nights.

and finally

Frigga - who will probably kill me for tagging her yet again, but I love the stuff this girl writes, and just know her answers will be a fun read.

So, hop to it ladies, let's see if you can do it in less time than it took me, which was about 3 weeks or so. You can do it. ;-)

5 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

wow! i'm gonna need a moment here...my biggest dilemma is what you said - which one will i miss.

i'll try to keep in under 3 weeks!

your memories of the best nights just make me smile! Your first night in the US??? you need a whole post about that one! pretty please, do!

PS. go see piacere about a martini!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I loved this post, Karina. Really loved your first concert. Having been a teenaged girl myself, I can picture it all!

Jannis said...

You sucked me in once again and I need more stories!!! I loved the 1st night alone in new home....

Rebecca said...

Yay! This is a very fun one! I really liked #5, I doubt I'll be able to afford buying my house house when I'm 28, but it's a goal that is on my mind on a regular basis. That and I'm super jealous about TNKOTB!!! I was so in love with them, I used to fantasize that they'd be driving by my house, have car problems and come knock on my door for a phone. Let's see, I was maybe about 8 or so. I so so so wish I had been old enough to go to one of their concerts!

Oh don't get the wrong idea, I don't still desire that. ;-)

Okay, give me some time to think on this one, but I'm excited about writing it, THANK YOU for tagging me!! :P

Anonymous said...

This is great! I love reading about your magical nights.