Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Accountability April - Who's With Me?

Okay folks, here it is, April 1st. I was going to be all clever and give you some big April Fool’s Joke, you know, tell you I was quitting blogging, or I had gotten married on my cruise, or some such silly thing, but…well…I’m just not that good of a liar, so I’ll spare you, and instead get serious about my big project for April.

My Twitter friend
Lisa and I had a discussion recently about the fact that our NaNo novels have pretty much laid untouched since November 30th or so. All this hard work put into reaching the 50k words, and then, as soon as the month ended, they were pushed aside like all of our other unfinished works in progress. One more to add to the list of started, but never completed manuscripts.

So, we decided that it was time to focus on those novels once again, and the month of April was to be the month in which we would do so.

And then we thought “There must be others out there in the same boat, others who’s NaNo novels are just sitting, waiting for encouragement to be picked up again”. And also, what about those New Year’s Resolutions? The promise to lose 10 lbs. The goal to hit the gym 3 times a week? The decision to quit smoking? The plan to declutter your house one room at a time? How many of those resolutions have been forgotten and pushed aside?

It is not too late to take them up, and THIS is the time my friends, April has just become the month in which you will be held accountable for those projects.

So, we invite you to join us for Accountability April, a month long challenge to get back to those projects we have let slide.

Lisa and I are both going to be working on our NaNo Novels. But you don’t have to be a writer to join us, any of those resolutions, or any other task you’ve been meaning to tackle will do.

Join us in being productive this month, won’t you?

Here’s what we’ll do. Every Wednesday I’ll post an Accountability April update. I’ll let you know how I’m doing on my novel, how many words I’ve written that week, or what kind of time I’ve spent on edits, and I’ll share other mini-projects I’m working on each week.

You will post on your own blog your very own Accountability April post, giving your readers an update on your own progress with whatever your project may be.

Then, stop on by and leave me (and/or
Lisa) a comment letting us know your post is up, with a link.

If you don’t have a blog, but would like to participate, just leave a comment with an update on how you are doing.

What do you think? Are you in? If you ‘d like to join us and think you can get a post up this week with your own project plan, go ahead and do so, and link back here to let us know. Even if you can’t get your post up this week, start working on your project, and post next Wednesday and stop by with your update then.


Also, we'll be pushing each other along, and encouraging, and keeping tabs, and checking in daily through Twitter, so you'll want to be sure to follow us, and let us know you're participating, so we can follow you in return. Here's me on Twitter: CandidK and Lisa.

Looking forward to getting accountable with you!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

But I don't wanna quit smoking or loose 10 pounds!!! ;)


I'll still be your cheerleader though! :)

Karmyn R said...

oh geez - I should totally do this with you, considering my Nano book from 2 years ago is still sitting there un-edited. I keep telling myself I'll get to it, but I never ever do.

Becky Laswell said...

This is a great idea! I listed my goal on Lisa's blog, and you'll soon be able to see more as I post on my blog here: http://mattbecky.com/blog/index.asp

I eat with Lisa at least once a week, so she'll be able to practically encourage me in my goal. :)

I hope your NaNo novel is no longer sitting there, waiting to be picked up again!

Frances said...

May I repost this to SWB?

Cheering you on in NYC,
Frances whose to-do list is ten miles long

jill said...

I may just join you on this one. maybe. if i dont procrastinate.

Thorne said...

I am SO on this with you! 2 NaNos and getting my Charity Upcycling project, "Gimme Shelter" rolling! (And I don't have anything slotted for Wednesdays, so that's even better!)