Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year - Now, get off your couch...

First and foremost I must say HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you. 2010...wow, wasn't it just yesterday we were kids trying to figure out how old we would be at the turn of the millennium?

But alas, that was then. This is now...and we are no longer kids, are we?

In fact, it seems each year our bodies remind us that we are not getting any younger. And it is up to us to take responsibility for taking care of these bodies.

So, as with probably 90% of the population, we kick off the new year with grandiose plans that this will be the year we will do just that. We will lose that last 10 (20-50) lbs. We will eat better. We will exercise regularly.

As discussed in my post last year (okay, fine, yesterday), I don't make New Year's Resolutions anymore. But I do love the idea of fresh starts and new beginnings. So I set goals, make plans, and...gulp..agree to crazy challenges by fellow bloggers.

My dear twitter friend and blogger Amber has been challenged by her husband to work out every day in January and blog about it, and she asked if any of us were interested in joining her. And I? Well, I must be just a little bit insane, because I said yes.

So here we are, January 1st, time to begin.

A quick note, while I plan to exercise every day this month, I don't plan to blog about it every day. I do plan to blog more often, and I plan on keeping you posted on my exercise progress throughout the month, but blogging daily is just not a reality for me at this moment, so that won't happen.

My cousin PM has, however, demanded I blog more often, because she misses my posts and knowing what is up with me, so I will make an attempt to do that. I promise! (oh boy).

Anyway, back to the exercise. Today is the first day of the challenge, and usually I take January 1st as a lazy day, waiting until Monday to get in gear. But this challenge is not letting me take the weekend off...so I WILL exercise today. Not sure yet what that workout will entail, but I'll share it with you as soon as I do. ;-) I do know I plan on staying in my jammies all day, so I'm thinking a little bit of Dance, Dance, Revolution will do the trick.

I'll be heading back to the gym on Monday, January 4th, and actually have an appointment with a personal trainer, to see if I can budget some PT sessions this year. I'll let you know how that goes too.

I am not, to be honest, looking forward to being at the gym in January, when all the "New Year's Resolution" newbies will be there, occupying all the machines. I'm a firm believer that us "regulars" should have a VIP section in January. I might have to find some at home workouts for the month, and then get back to the gym in February, when they've all given up. (was that mean? yeah, that was mean...my bad).

Anyway, there you go...that's the plan for January...will you join me? Let me know in comments, and make sure to visit Amber's blog and let her know you're in!

1 comment:

Amber @ Classic Housewife said...

LOL! Okay, first THANKS for doing this with me! Especially since you'd have to brave the New Year's newbies in order to go to the gym. That's not something that I'll have to deal with... I fully support you working out at home until February and I totally think Dance Dance Revolution counts. =D

And you don't have to blog every day... I'm not really expecting everyone to do that.. so no worries! I won't have another linky up until next Friday so you could link anything you write between now and then. =)

I'm off to get my kiddos to finish their chores so we can do our Family Yoga DVD. I hope!