Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Active April - Fit N Healthy



Last month I joined my twitter buddy Ami (@smtwngrl) on her challenge to be healthy and ‘active’ during the month of April.


This was not to be the first, and certainly not the last (and in fact, not even the only April) “fitness” challenge I did on Twitter.


Fact is, if any one of my Twitter friends mentions some sort of health/fitness/etc. challenge, I’m probably going to at the very least, investigate it, and most likely, join it.


In January, I attempted (and came very close to fulfilling) @AmberOliver’s 31 day fitness challenge.


Also in April I attempted (and failed miserably) in @swissms99’s 10 day clean eating challenge.


There have been others.


Truth is, lately, I’m all about eating healthy, exercising, and basically, changing my lifestyle to one where health is just a matter of life.


I hate “diets”, I hate “crash courses” and crazy goals and impossible feats when it comes to what to eat and how much exercise to do.


I love food. I like lounging on my couch and watching television.


But I also like the way my body looks when I am taking good care of it. I like fitting into my size 4 jeans. I like that the other day, when I flexed my arm, I saw muscle there. I like that I used to be out of breath going up one flight of stairs and now I can walk/jog 3 miles and be barely winded.


I love being healthy.



So, if you mention some sort of fitness challenge to me, you can bet your booty I’m going to ask you more about it.


In April, I was active. I didn’t exercise every single day, but I came close. So, when Ami asked me if I was up for joining her for another fitness challenge in May, I, of course, said yes.


Enter #fitNhealthy. You can find out more about the challenge here, at Ami's blog. But the general idea behind it is that for the month of may, Ami is challenging us to do AT LEAST 30 minutes of exercise AT LEAST 5 days a week. I'm in.


In fact, I've been doing that already for the last few weeks, and most days, I do at least an hour worth of exercise. I'm going to just stick to Ami's challenge however, and see if I can "outdo myself" and push for an hour each day.


For me, these challenges, these Twitter buddies of mine who are focused on their health, are just added motivation for me to live the life I want to live.


In the last few years, I’ve gone from being the girl who would say “I run if someone is chasing me”, to the girl who is determined to run a 5k race before this summer is over (OMG, did I really just admit that out loud?)


And I owe a lot of that to Twitter. The constant motivation, encouragement and commiserating with my Twitter buddies, both the ones who run marathons and the ones who, like me, struggle along, has helped to change me into this person I am becoming.


And I’ll let you in on a little secret, I really like this person.


So, what do you say? Join me in being #fitNhealthy? You can find me HERE on Twitter, if you don’t already follow me, and join me in changing the way our minds work, so we can change the way our bodies work, look, and feel.

1 comment:

Ami said...

Thanks for joining in on this challenge! Glad to have you!