Saturday, June 09, 2007

Lazy Saturday

It is rainy, cool and kind of dreary outside today. It is, in my opinion the perfect weather for a lazy Saturday.

There is something about our society today that makes one feel guilty if a day is spent with no plans, no goals, no list of to do's. The truth is, we are generally so busy, overworked, over extended, that a day of just doing whatever we feel like doing, is sometimes absolutely necessary.

I find that in the summer, when the sun is shining and the temps are up, I have an urge to be outside, doing something, anything, before the weather turns cold again. I think this is because I live in New England, and we all know it is winter 9 out of the 12 months of the year here. When it is nice out, you'd better take advantage, because it will not last long.

So lazy days tend to, for the most part, take place in winter. There will be many Saturdays or Sundays in the winter time when I will get up and just not bother to get out of my pajamas all day. Laze around watching television, playing on the computer, doing some housework, reading a book, drinking hot cocoa and loving every minute of it.

In the summer, I tend to get restless if I'm home for too long, and have the desire to GET OUT there...so I spend my week days working, and my weekends running around. This is fine, I have a busy life, and I enjoy it. But it leaves me little time to just relax, and I find myself exhausted come Monday morning, only to start the work week all over again.

But today, I woke up to the sound of the rain outside my open bedroom window. I didn't have any pre-set plans, so I allowed myself to stay in bed longer than usual. Then I got up, threw on a bathrobe and moved to the couch, where again, I just lounged for a while. After breakfast I decided I'd do some housework, so I cleaned my kitchen, did the dishes, started a load of laundry. In this manner I have spend most of today. I'm still in my bathrobe. I've cleaned the living room, the bathroom, and my bedroom. I've stripped the sheets from my bed, and they are now in the dryer, I have done three additional loads of laundry. I have made lunch, watched a movie (in the background, as I worked), and cleaned up my desk. I have moved at my own pace, taking breaks to watch episodes of stupid reality shows on E!

Now I'm on the computer, catching up on some of my favorite blogs (and posting in my own, as you can see). After my computer time, I think I might go watch a movie. As of right now, I have no plans to leave the house, or even change out of my bathrobe. This is the benefit of living alone, I really don't need to get dressed if I don't want to, I've got nobody to see me! (although I will add that my bathrobe is adorable, and I have washed my face and brushed my teeth, I'm not completely funky). ;-)

I have plans for a foot soak/pedicure and a facial tonight (self-administered while I watch movies). A bit of pampering is just what the doctor ordered, after the sad way my week ended. There is a wake and funeral tomorrow and Monday, so the week will be starting on a sad note as well. I will need to be strong and available for my friend in the coming weeks, so I figured I needed to take today to refuel, recharge, and focus. She will need me, and I intend to be there at no less than 100%.

So, my cat and I are enjoying a lazy Saturday together. It's been a really nice day so far. How's your Saturday going?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say lazy days rock! And it sounds like you're enjoying your day to the fullest.

Literary Feline said...

Lazy weekends are sometimes the best weekends. :-) Hubby and I went out to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch today after running some errands. It was sort of a postponed birthday lunch for him. I wish my thighs could afford to try every cheesecake on that menu, let me tell you!

Anyhow, we came home and I settled in with a book for the remainder of the afternoon. The rest of our weekend will be pretty lazy--Sundays usually are around here. I will probably get some house cleaning done, definitely the laundry, but the rest will be sit either watching movies or reading. :-)