Wednesday, April 11, 2007

28 in 30 - 30 minutes a day

I went for a walk after work tonight. It felt GREAT. They say you should walk for 30 minutes a day, every day, for your health. I think that is a great idea, but “they” obviously don’t live in New England, where 7 months out of the year it is too cold to walk outside, 3 months out of the year it is too hot and humid to walk outside and 1 month out of the year it rains every day…this leaves us JUNE for walking outside.

That said, tonight wasn’t too cold out, and even though we’re expecting yet another April snow storm tomorrow, it was nice enough for a walk.

So, when I got home from work tonight, I realized I had to take out the trash, so I changed out of my high heeled shoes into sneakers to carry it out back, but, as I was changing shoes, I remembered I needed to deposit a check, and as my bank is only about a 10 minute walk from my house…I decided to change into work-out clothes, throw on my MP3 Player, and go for a walk.

I only walked for about 20 minutes, with a short break at the ATM making my deposit. It’s not a long walk, but it’s a tough walk, because I live on a VERY steep hill. I walk down this hill, and across the way, up another hill…then on the way back home, it is down that hill, and up my VERY STEEP hill back up to my condo complex. Seriously, in case that wasn’t clear enough, the hill…is STEEP.

The sort of hill that cars get stuck on when it snows; the sort of hill that half way up, on foot, you are cursing yourself for the stupid idea of going for a walk. “What the hell was I thinking? I can’t make it up this damned hill…seriously? It wasn’t this steep last time, was it?”

So, a short walk, but nonetheless, a powerful one. I felt great after that short walk, and told myself I’d do them daily…except, well…it’s supposed to snow tomorrow.

AH…Spring!

HA!

No comments: