Thursday, October 04, 2007

Thirteen Random Observations

I'm still recovering from this nasty cold, so while I sit here trying hard not to fall into another fit of the coughs...here are some random observations I made this week:

1. When you have a cold, and therefore a cough, which makes it practically impossible to speak, EVERYONE wants to have all kinds of conversations with you. Why is that?

2. Tuesday, October 2, I was wearing capris, a short sleeve shirt and sandals...in New England. Tomorrow, it is supposed to reach 85 degrees...In October, in New England...I'm not even sure what to wear at this point, and I'm just confused in general about the weather. The leaves are changing, bu they haven't quite changed yet...it's all just very strange.

3. As I write this, I'm watching Kid Nation...is it just me or is it unsettling that a bunch of 14 year olds are faking taking shots and chugging beer (using rootbeer) and making it look completely believable...as if, perhaps...they've done this before?

4. I have to do it...I'm sorry, but here it comes..Britney Spears lost custody of her kids this week. Do you think this will be her rock bottom? Is it bad that I hope it is? It's just that I'm afraid if his isn't it...she may not survive her rock bottom...and then those kids will not only have a very public record of how messed up their mother was...they may not have a mother at all. I worry for everyone involved in this situation...obviously she has some serious issues and needs some serious help.

5. Conversely, I don't really understand why everyone is coming down so hard on Kevin Federline. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've cracked Fed-Ex jokes just like everyone else, and I don't particularly have any great fondness for the guy, but he hasn't yet shown anything to warrant the negative press he's getting in terms of his father abilities. At least he's stepping up to the plate. Give the guy a chance to screw up before you knock his parenting abilities.

6. Do you have any idea how many muscles your body utilizes in the process of coughing? Let me tell you...A LOT! I have aches in muscles I didn't even know existed after this cold. And we won't even discuss how raw my insides feel...OUCH.

7. Back to Kid Nation for a minute. I watch quite a bit of reality tv. I enjoy watching these people make fools of themselves on televison, purely for my entertainment. And as always, when you watch most reality tv shows, there is going to be at least one person who is going to annoy you to no end. Usually, it is okay to have strong feelings of dislike for this moron, because well, they're grown and should know better. But an interesting dynamic happens when you are watching Kid Nation. Certain "kids" will rub you the wrong way and you find yourself thinking "she's such a little bitch" and then you catch thinking "oh, she's just a kid, I can't say that about her"...hmmm

8. The Neiman Marcus catalogue just came out and it includes a $110,000 portrait for two made out of chocolate syrup. WHAT? For more ridiculous (or as they call them fantasy) gifts, go here.

9. I try not to engage in political discussions very often, at least not on this blog, mostly because this blog is a place I enjoy and politics can only screw that up...but...Bush vetoes the child health care bill...and I have a problem with that...that's it, that's as far as I'm going with that.

10. The Red Sox won Game 1 of the Playoffs against the Angels. Just thought you might want to know. No, I wasn't watching the game. No, I'm not even that much of a baseball fan. But I am a Bostonian and this is, after all, Red Sox Nation...Go Sox!

11. Ever know someone who just has a knack for being absolutely rude and offensive when they think they're being funny. Or without even realizing how absolutely innapropriate they are being? Cuz "the Nazi" at the firm, is working really hard on ruining that last nerve of mine. I'm hacking up a lung today in my office...seriously, having one of those moments when tears are streaming down my face and I'm not sure I'm going to make it. And out of her office comes "Will you be quiet in there?" All in a singsongy joky voice, like "haha I'm so funny". Yeah, thanks for your concern. BITCH...

12. Last Saturday I spent the entire afternoon waiting for the Comcast to show up to install my new digital phone service. He never did. After quite the elaborate and unpleasant telephone conversation with the sales department, during which I was informed he had listed me as "not at home" without ever even having driven up my driveway (trust me, I would have seen him) and my informing them that although I wasn't going to call anyone a liar, he wasn't telling them the truth (yeah, I know)...how did I end up screwing myself even more by requesting I be the FIRST appointment of the day this coming Saturday? Good job Karina, now you have to be up and dressed by 8 AM on a Saturday morning. NICE!

13. Taye Diggs is HOT. That's it, that's all I have to say about that.

I told you it would be random. Happy Thursday y'all!










The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!<

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say I do feel badly for Britney. Too much fame at such a young age.

And I know what you mean about the weather. I live in Nova Scotia and it's been crazy warm for this time of year. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't help but be intrigued by Britney as well. I can't imagine being any lower than losing your kids, hopefully it will force her out of this recklessness rather than deeper into it.

Rebecca said...

It's going around - but I'm stocked up on juice, now I just need the echinacea, soup, fresh fruits and green veggies - that's the garenteed way to stay healthy!

Oh, and Kid Nation is an absolutely horrifying social expiriment meant to make yet another attack on families. They want to prove that families don't really matter - that the state is just as capable and parents aren't important. Please don't buy into all that propaganda. Every parent who let their kid participate should be charged with neglect for neglecting to have proper supervision for their minor for an entire month or however long it was. Ugh - that whole show gets me so mad.

Okay rant over -

Please enjoy your Thursday ;-)

Anonymous said...

So far, I'm the only one in the family that hasn't gotten sick...I'm squirting them all with Bug Killer if they get too close!

We're in the mid-50's here!

The Rock Chick said...

Well, you've already read how I feel about Britney...as for K-Fed, I'm still out on him. As a boyfriend/husband, I think he's a loser. That doesn't make him a bad dad, though, I suppose. He does seem the better behaved of the two of them.....

I've been watching Kid Nation, too, because one of my high school classmates has a kid on the show. It's not holding my attention like I thought it would, though.....

Happy TT
Jessica The Rock Chick

ANA said...

About Britney - I think people need to stop. Clearly she doesn't handle fame too well, why not just leave her alone...

hope you get well soon!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Britney is having a very public mental breakdown and I'm quite certain it would have happened to her, whether she was a well-known singer or whether she was the odd woman down the street. The timing of it and all her other symptoms say mood disorder time bomb ticking until it went off. I too feel badly for her kids, as no matter what happens now, there are numerous reports, pictures and footage of how wacko their mom was when they were young.

Hope your cold gets better soon - that Nazi was awfully considerate.

qualcosa di bello said...

ok...i've never heard of this kid nation thing & now, thanks to your post & frigga's comments, i will know to give it wide berth...how disgusting is that! thanks for the warning!

hope you are feeling better very soon...if you & i were close by i would send in the chicken soup reinforcments. :)

Anonymous said...

I must be the only person who absolutely couldn't care less about Britney Spears.

I hope you shake that bug off soon. If that woman at your office does that again, you can always go up to her and say "Sorry, what did you say?" and then cough right at her. Childish, maybe but it would be immensely satisfying!

Literary Feline said...

I was in such a state yesterday that when my husband came home from work, I had to tell him it was his turn to do all the talking. I couldn't get a word out without choking and coughing. It was horrible. It wasn't quite as bad while I was at work, thank goodness, but it wasn't pleasant either.

I hope you are feeling better!