In case you haven't heard, I started my new job this week as the executive assistant to the president of a local financial organization (yes, I'm being intentionally vague here). I have been a paralegal for the last eleven years, so this is a bit of a career change, but one I am excited about, I was ready for a change.
Anyway, I have received some amazing support from all of you, my awesome readers, during this time of transition in my life, and I know a lot of you are excited for me, and waiting to hear how my first few days at work have been. So, without further ado, here are thirteen "first" impressions" about my new job:
1. My new boss (who from here on out will be known as The CEO here at Candid Karina)? Rocks! I know it's early yet, but from what I've seen so far, he is a genuinely nice guy, and pretty laid back. Just from watching his interaction with other employees the past few days, I can see what kind of leader he is, and I like what I see.
2. My new co-workers? Good grief, there are so many of them, I'll never be able to keep them all straight. I went from The Firm where there were 5 of us, to this place, where just in my location I believe there are about 100 (and we have three other locations).
3. Still, even though it will take me months to learn even half of their names, everyone I've met so far has been absolutely friendly and extremely welcoming.
4. Overall, there is an extremely convivial atmosphere. Everyone seems to enjoy being there and working with one another.
5. I spent the first day helping The CEO prep for the monthly board meeting and think that we will work really well together.
6. I also learned that The CEO is the kind of boss that says "thank you" and "good job", and I'm grateful for that because "The Boss" at The Firm was that type of boss, and I wasn't sure I'd ever be lucky enough to have that type of boss again (they're hard to come by, the appreciative types, aren't they?)
7. My new office? Pretty posh. Well, it's large anyway, and has these great floor to ceiling windows that face one of the main streets in the downtown area. A pretty decent view.
8. I love working in the downtown area. Just in the last two days I've been able to sit outside in a nice little park area and read my book while enjoying some sunshine, and have lunch at a fun little diner with a friend. There is always something going on downtown, and there are so many people to watch, so many new places to eat, and things to see.
9. I know you're all going to ask, so...No, no eye candy/dating prospects that I have seen yet. I know you were thinking it, so I figured I'd just throw it out there.
10. The work itself so far seems interesting but pretty easy and not nearly as stressful as my responsibilities as a paralegal...but it is early yet.
11. My commute? Kick-Ass! It takes me 15 minutes or so to get to and from work. This is a vast improvement over my last job, and I am loving it.
12. What I am also loving are my hours. I now work 8:30 to 4:30 and have been informed that when they say 4:30, they mean it. Today, at around 4:30, the place was pretty much cleared out, everyone was gone. I was used to working way past my "regular" 5:30 clock out time at my old job, so this is a welcome change, for sure.
13. Um...yeah, I don't have a thirteenth...Overall I am just glad that it seems my impressions at the interview stage are proving to be correct, and this seems to be a great place to work, with good people, a great environment, and good perks. I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks to everyone for all their well wishes...as you can see...so far so good!
For a mini-recap of "So You Think You Can Dance" and a recap of Monday Night's episode of "The Bachelorette" (find out how my old college buddy is doing), please stop by Cafe Karina, won't you?