Friday, March 13, 2009

Only The Good Friday - The Funny

Here we are again; it is Only The Good Friday. It also happens to be Friday the 13th, which, I suppose, if you are superstitious, would be a bad omen, and therefore, not very much of a Good Friday after all.

But, you’re in luck fellow readers, because yours truly? Not superstitious.

So, I’ve good lots of good to share. I think today will be about the funny.

What funny you ask? You know…the funny. All the ironic, silly, crazy funny things that happen in our lives that make you realize that God truly has the best sense of humor about us.

So, funny number 1: I decide to go out Saturday night and act like a 20something year old, go dancing in a nightclub, which I so don’t do anymore, and what happens? I meet a guy who turns out to be 25 years old. To my 34 years old. OH, that’s funny.

The fact that he is turning out to be a pretty nice guy with actual potential, making the age thing an almost non-issue? Even funnier. Highly unexpected, and surprisingly pleasant, but funny.

Now, with me being the eternally single, independent girl, the one who always tells her friends to use their head, not get caught up, think it through, this particular situation only gets funnier as each day goes by.

I find myself realizing that I’ve spent the last 6 years or more being level headed, being cautious, being mature, strong and independent. And I find that I don’t really feel like doing it anymore. Well aware of the consequences of throwing caution to the wind, I find that that is exactly what I want to do. Completely out of character for me and completely right for me at this moment.

For the last year I have been living my life in this “all in” sort of way. I want something, I go for it. I feel something, I don’t hold back. I take chances, I ride roller coasters, I praise God publicly, I tell my friends I love them, I travel, I get a tattoo, I buy a bikini…I’m done sitting back and watching life pass me by, I’m doing this thing…I’m living.

So, I meet a guy, and I hold nothing back. None of my usual cautions and rationales and over-analyzing things. Oh, I know God’s laughing at this one.

But wait, there’s more.

I had the most amazing birthday in years. Truly feeling blessed, with the incredible aid of this silly little thing called “social media” and more specifically, FaceBook, I received more birthday wishes than I have ever in my entire life. People reached out and were genuine in their good wishes, and I quickly became overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and friendship. Add to that my co-workers, my family, my bloggy and twitter friends, and everyone else who acknowledged my “special day”, and it was easy to get caught up in the “you like me, you really like me” feeling of it all. It was so good, and I did feel special.

So, when I woke up the next day with the plague (the flu), was forced to stay at home alone all day, look at myself in the mirror looking a right mess, and realize I was fragile and imperfect…I could do nothing but laugh. There’s God’s sense of humor again. Humbling, and funny. I got that joke, really, I did.

I’m thinking at this point in the post you are thinking “but, these things are funny only to you, really…and what does any of this have to do with Only The Good Friday anyway?” Well, I’ll tell you.

You are not wrong, these things are about me. But there’s a grander lesson in it all, which I think we can all take to heart, and take with us…and that’s my contribution to OTGF.

Look, I won’t lie, I’m feeling good, I’m having the time of my life, and so pretty much any post I wrote today would have served for OTGF because I’m so sugary sweet perky it’s a little bit sick. And it’s not just the “new guy high”, it’s the birthday, it’s the upcoming cruise, it’s my friends, and my blessings.

But, in another life, at another time, there have been several things that have happened the last few weeks which I could easily have twisted into negatives. This massive flu, which is severely impeding my ability to function, for example, could really have put a damper on things.

The lesson here is the joke. This flu forced me to slow down when I was going at a pace my body was obviously not equipped to handle right now. It also reminded me that as hot as I thought I was in my little black dress on Saturday night…nobody is hot in flannel pj’s, dirty hair, and hacking up a lung. It reminded me that as fabulous and fantastic as everything can be, it can all change in a split second. And…I see this as a good thing, you know why? It makes those good moments that much more valuable, and it makes me appreciate and not take them for granted.

But, if you’re not satisfied with that, I’ll give you a final funny…this one, I’m sure you’ll appreciate.

Remember how earlier this week I asked if I was
old enough to be a Cougar? We had this fun little discussion about the pros and cons of dating a younger man, didn’t we? We established that everything else aside, it sure as hell is flattering that a 25 year old guy thinks I’m hot. It’s all fun and games with the age thing, right?

But I’m blaming it all on this fabulous little black dress. A little black dress made by Beyonce’s clothing line “Dereon”, which I picked up almost accidentally on Saturday afternoon at Marshall’s. The minute I put that dress on my confidence shot up, and I felt like a 25 year old myself. He himself (I still need to find him a code name for the blog…) admitted that it was the dress (or more specifically, the way I looked in that dress) which caught his attention first. It’s all about the dress.

So, because I love the dress, yesterday I decided to look up the Dereon label online and see what else they had. And I found my dress…the dress.

And here’s the funny…You know how fashion labels have this thing for giving clothing “cutesie” names? Things like “Dancing Queen” for a dress, or “Diva” for a particular shoe design…you know?

How fitting then that the name or my dress would be…

Are you ready for this one?

”Suga Mama”.

Yes, I know you’re laughing, I told you it was a funny.

Go check out more Only The Good Friday’s here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Universe has a sense of humor, doesn't it? And so, my dear, do you. I loved your stories, and I'm still smiling. As my daughter told me when she found out I was going out with a date who was only one year older than her, "You go, girl!"

My Only the Good post is about the universe giving back, too... please drop by my place if you get a chance!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Happy Birthday, a few days late, Karina! By the way, if you want to find me on Facebook, I'm there as Julia Smith.

I think 9 years does not a Cougar make. Have fun!