No, I wasn't fired. But that was a much catchier title than "You're laid off", you know? And besides, it has pretty much the same emotional impact. As in, "Holy crap, now what?" And that was just one of the thoughts that ran through my mind when I received the news last Friday that as of NEXT Friday, I'll be jobless. I have had a job of some form or another non-stop since the age of 16. I've never been unemployed since then. I find a new job before I quit the old one, even if I am miserable at my current position. That's just the way it is. So this, seeing my future with no set job ahead? FREAKING ME OUT.
Here are thirteen other thoughts that have gone through my mind since I received the news:
1. How will I pay my mortgage? Am I going to lose my house? Damn it, I was thisclose to wiping out all my debt too. How much of a setback is this going to be?
2. Well, I do need a vacation.
3. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit...(sorry mom, desperate times call for desperate language).
4. I wonder if I can figure out a way to live off unemployment for a while and stay home and work on the next great American novel?
5. Holy crap, I'm going to be destitute.
6. This is a blessing in disguise, I'm gravely underpaid anyway, so now I'll go earn what I deserve.
7. I can't live off unemployment, who the hell am I kidding? I'll love my house. That's not an option, get it together Karina!
8. Maybe I can find a fun new challenging job, something that will have me excited about learning new things and stuff.
9. Oh, I really don't want to have to go work in Boston again and add that commute to my life...damn, I thought I was done with that insane lifestyle.
10. Working in Boston again could really be a whole lot of fun. I hated the commute, but I loved that crazy lifestyle. I met a lot of great people, hey, maybe I'll even meet a man or two...or ten... WHAT? It could happen.
11. Man, the job market sucks, there's nothing out there, I'm never going to find a job. And UGH, I hate job interviews.
12. Hey, I get to go out and buy a really kick-ass interview suit, so I can look and feel like a million bucks. Because if you feel good, you look good, and you project the right attitude and that'll get me a good job. That and my 11 years experience in this business.
13. No more Whisper Wednesdays!!!
And oh, I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.